St. Nicholas’ Church of England Church is situated on Uphill Road South, between the main road and the park, set slightly away from the centre of the village.
It was built by the Victorians to replace the little Norman church of the same name on the hill. Adjacent to the church is a church hall, built in the 1950s, and a temporary portacabin. Car parking is limited & the best place to park is on Uphill Road South.
The new churchyard is relatively small and is now closed to burials. The Old churchyard is also closed to burials except where family graves have sufficient room for further burials.
In addition to the war memorial in the churchyard of the Old Church on the hill, a war memorial is maintained in the baptistry of the new church.
Everyone is welcome to attend our services & groups. If you would like any more information, please telephone 01934 620156 or visit our web site at www.stnicholaswithstbarnabas.org or contact
Mark K Madeley (Rev’d)
Rector of St Nicholas with St Barnabas, Weston-super-Mare
The Uphill Methodist Church in Uphill Road South was built and opened in 1841 over one hundred and sixty-six years ago. It stands on a plot of land purchased in 1840 for just £5.
The site also housed a schoolroom for the village re-used during the war years for evacuee children. In 1959 the building was damaged by fire.
Following this the premises were extensively modernised and re-dedicated in 1965, the white flat exterior covering a much more interesting building.
Contact:email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our web site at http://uphillchurch.wix.com/uphill-church
This church is to oldest in the area. It is Norman and dates from AD1080 and retains many of its original features. Mediaeval and Victorian additions and features such as scratch sundials on the South Wall, interesting gargoyles and carvings, doorways and windows of several periods, and a peal of six working bells make this an interesting building.
The Old Church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust (formerly known as The Redundant Churches Fund). It endeavours to keep the church open to the public for as much of the year as possible.
Subject to weather and underfoot conditions on the hill the church will be open during daylight hours on occasions through the years. See Events for more detail.
See also the Village History pages for more on the Old Church of St. Nicholas.